The NHS subscribes to key healthcare databases, full text journals, e-books and more for its staff. To access these you need to have an Athens username and password. You can obtain one by self-registering at: www.evidence.nhs.uk
An Athens Self-Registration leaflet is available from the Education Centre Libraries at Good Hope, Heartlands, Solihull and Queen Elizabeth hospital
- eBook titles are listed on the library catalogue www.base-library.nhs.uk. New eBooks are constantly being added, simply log on with your Athens account.
- Choose your own eBooks by simply logging on with your Athens account at www.ebookcentral.proquest.com/
(Require Athens Registration)
Staff can access the following Health Statistics full text electronic journals through their Athens account from the ASK Discovery Tool
- British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology
- Data in brief
- Health Data Management
- Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics
- Journal of Registry Management
- Journal of Probability and Statistics
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
- National Health Statistics Reports (NHSR)
- National Vital Statistics Reports
- NCHS Data Brief: Public Health
- Pharmaceutical Statistics*
- Scientific Data
- Statistics in Medicine*
- Vital and Health Statistics: data evaluation and methods research
This section lists some useful websites, organisations, professional bodies, and Patient information sites useful for Health Statistics professionals.
Birmingham Population Health Statistics
Census and population information
CancerStats (Cancer Research UK)
Incidence, mortality, survival.
DH: Department of Health Statistics
Statistics available on Abortion, Breastfeeding, hospital Estates and Facilities and Patient experience.
Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
A hands-on statistical data tool is available.
Heartstats (British Heart Foundation)
Recent publications: Children & YP, Trends in Coronary Heart Disease, Cardiovascular Disease and Physical Activity statistics.
HES (Hospital Activity Statistics)
Data contains all hospital admissions, outpatient appointments and A&E attendances at NHS hospitals in England.
A repository for quantitative information on the UK limbless population referred for prosthetics treatment.
Mental Health Statistics
The facts and figures around mental health in the UK.
National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. An independent charity.
Statistical data on organ donation.
Key statistics on the NHS.
NHS Digital Indicator Portal
A comprehensive overview of a number of health and social care indicators.
Multiplicity of useful data available.
UK and International comparisons 2019.
Office of Health Economics
Compendium of Health Statistics
Office for National Statistics: ONS
Health and Social Care: Life expectancy, Infant Deaths, Cancer and Alcohol related deaths.
Public Health England
A single point of access to data and analysis tools from PHE.
UK National Statistics: Publications Hub
The main gateway for UK statistics released by the government departments.
West Midlands: ONS
Census gives insights into characteristics of the West Midlands’ population
World Health Organization
Health-related epidemiological and statistical information.